Sunday 23 March 2014

Hair: Growing Your Hair Long and Healthy

Jacquie Aiche finger bracelet, Michael Kors MK5878 watch

Growing your hair can be one of the most difficult things to do as it requires a lot of upkeep and patience. I believe that healthy hair starts at the root and with how your treat it as it grows, so I wanted to take some time today to share some of my tips on how to help get your locks longer.

  • Avoid heat – in this day and age everybody uses heat in some form or another whether it is straighteners, tongs or even just the hairdryer but if you can put the heat tools down regularly {or a least be sensible as to how much you use them} then you will do your hair the world of good.
  • Start from within – Vitamins can really help your hair and skin to be happy and strong. I would never recommend a supplement as a solution because a healthy diet will do more for you than a supplement ever will but you can add a supplement to a healthy diet. I’ll do a post on foods and vitamins that can help keep your hair healthy soon.
  • Scalp massage – while your conditioner is on in the shower give your scalp a massage for a minute. Hair condition can be affected if your scalp gets too tight and by giving your scalp a light massage each time you wash it you can loosen up the collagen in the scalp and increase the circulation to it which will promote hair growth and blood flow to the scalp. 
  • Regular trims – even when you are growing your hair you should still see your stylist for regular cuts to freshen up the ends. The amount of time I have clients turn to me as say “I want just the ends off” after not having a cut for months is ridiculous and I always have to tell them that unfortunately they need inches off the length because of split ends and/or dryness. Ideally you should be having ½ an inch off every 6-8 weeks depending on your hair length just to maintain it while it grows.
  • Oil is good – especially natural oils. I always advise my clients whether they are growing their hair or not that letting your hair get greasy from natural oils every now and again is really good for your hair. So if you aren’t going out or you can style your hair up at least once a month go a weekend {or longer if you can} without washing your hair and let the natural oils condition your hair for you, you won’t believe how much of a difference it makes.
I try to follow these rules and luckily for me my hair grows pretty quickly so I hope they help you too. You can find my last post on how to avoid split ends here. If you have any hair questions or hair topics you would like me to cover on my blog leave me a comment and make sure to follow my blog on bloglovin so you get all my updates.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...